2015 Furnival Press | TKO Print & Design Ltd

The Furnival Press was founded in 1861 by George Barber, a Victorian entrepreneur who came from the Kent coast to London to seek his fortune. The business occupied premises on the corner of Furnival and Cursitor Streets in Holborn, where initially the business concentrated on printing for the legal profession, followed in due course by parliamentary work, printing for the city livery companies, and music printing. 


Richard took over the company following his father’s death in 1901. The business stayed in the hands of the Barber family right up to 1960, when it was taken over by its Furnival Street neighbour, the Jewish Chronicle. 10 years on, with traffic congestion making the loading and unloading of heavy lorries in the narrow street increasingly difficult, the business moved to Camberwell, employing at that time 70 staff.


Johnny Gumb, who had joined the company in 1969, bought the business with 2 associates in 1982. 

Echoes of our early years live on in the printing which we still produce

for two of the Inns of Court and several city livery companies,

and in the depth of our knowledge of printing as a traditional craft and a skill. 


We moved in 2002 to Stockwell and introduced our ‘on-demand’

digital printing and large format, facilities which helped to broaden

our loyal customer base.


Now in 2016 Furnival Press has purchased another printing company,

TKO Print, which was a family run business established in 1985.

David Peach, the new owner has been with Furnival Press since 1998.

With new investment, premises, energy and ideas, the company

has just upgraded to new Konica Minolta digital presses,

with associated finishing equipment to cope with any print requirements

and same day turnaround projects.


The new London site offers customer parking and is a 1 minute walk

from Kennington tube station. 



Our proud history Abridged

Furnival Press Day out 1906

george barber founder of the furnival press

Furnival Street